Monday, May 24, 2010

I love a good fleece. This one is exceptional. It is about a nine pound raw cormo fleece. This fleece was blanketed and skirted very well at shearing.I'm going to show a little bit of the process. I start by taking a very thin towel and taking the locks in small chunks. I line them in two rows fold them up and submerge them into a almost boiling pan of water on the stove.
I allow them to steam for about an hour. I remove the whole bundle, lay it aside, change my water and resubmerge the bundle. I let it steam for however long I feel is good. ; )
I do this twice with a wool soap or Dawn dish liquid. Then I do two steaming rinses on the stove. I lay the bundle aside to allow it to cool. When the bundle is cool enough for me to handle I gently squeeze the excess water out of the locks.


This is what they look like after they've had a bath. I lay them on a drying rack until they are fully dry. I prefer outside but that's not always possible so then I lay them all over the kitchen table. Mmmmm what's for dinner!?

This is a lovely little lock all washed and fresh! This fleece is so nice that I'm putting off spinning it. I just love to look at the crimp.

1 comment:

Alice Yu said...

oooh can't wait to see it spun up! love that squoooshy cormo.